Battalion Events – October 1916

“In October 1916, before the Battalion went overseas, Col. Combe, with a detachment of “B” Company travelled to Goderich and headed by the 161st Band, marched to the steps of the Court House with the Colours. Rev. J.B. Fotheringham, rector of St. George’s Church, consecrated the Colours and they were handed over to Sheriff Reynolds to be placed in the Court House for safekeeping until after the war. Col. Combe in his address, gave a very glowing tribute to the men of the Huron Battalion for the splendid showing on their last inspection that decided on their going overseas, and they now ranked in Class A.” (From journal of Lieut. Cpl. J.K. Cornish, Clinton Branch of Royal Canadian Legion)