Pte. Hector Heywood Newest Recruit

Enlistments – December 13, 1916

On December 13, 1916, former 161st Battalion member, Private Hector Norman Heywood enlisted in London, Ontario.

654044, HEYWOOD, (Pte.) Hector Norman had enlisted in Exeter on December 10, 1915 with the 161st Huron Battalion. His next of kin was his wife, Mrs. Edith Anne Heywood of 72 Rectory St., London, ON. Prior to enlistment, Hector Heywood was a carpenter in Exeter, ON.

Hector N. Heywood was born on May 3, 1888 in Exeter, ON. At the time of enlistment he was 26 years old and stood 5’ 7.75” in height, with a dark complexion, brown eyes and dark hair. He was Methodist in faith.

On September 29, 1916, Private Heywood was struck off strength at Camp Borden as a deserter.

Hector Norman Heywood enlisted again on December 13, 1916 in London, Ontario, his attestion papers noting that he had 7 months military service with the 161st Battalion. At that time, he described as being 5’ 5.5” in height with a dark complexion, hazel eyes and dark brown hair. He was approved for enlistment.

He embarked for England on the S.S. Olympic on April 28, 1917 and landed May 7, 1917. He was taken to Shorncliffe Camp on June 7, 1917 and nine days later became part of the 8th Reserve Battalion, then was transferred to the 119th Battalion at Witley Camp on May 26, 1917.

Private Hector Heywood was admitted to the Military Hospital in London, while with the 63rd Battery, for neurasthenia on January 5, 1917 and discharged to return to duty on January 26, 1917.

Pte. Hector Heywood was posted as a gunner with the 52nd Battalion, Ammunition Column and landed in France on February 2, 1918. He later served as gunner for the 63rd Battalion.

Pte. H.N. Heywood was injured in the Battle of Cambria around September 30, 1918 and taken to the 22nd General Hospital at Camiers and later admitted to the 6th Convalescent Depot in Etaples, France on September 11, 1918 with a gunshot wound to his left hand.  He developed an abcess on his left upper arm on November 15, 1918. From Etaples, he was moved to the 5th Convalescent Depot on December 14, 1918 and demobilized to England on January 26, 1919. Gunner Hector Heywood finally sailed for Canada on May 7, 1919 on the S.S. Orduna from Liverpool, England.

When he was discharged on May 18, 1919, it was noted that he was now 30 years old and had a scar on his left wrist due to a glass cut in 1909.

Hector Norman Heywood died on March 31, 1967 in Westminster Hospital in London, Ontario

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s